Here's what's on in October:
Street Health and Harm Reduction programming:
- The Kit Group takes place on Tuesdays from 1-3PM in the Board Room. To sign up, please call 416.537.2455, ext 271, or drop by the Harm Reduction Room on the first floor.
- The ID Clinic will take place on Wednesday October 21st from 10AM-12PM.
- KAPOW takes place Fridays from 10-11:30AM in the Board Room. For more information, please call Victoria at 416.537.2455, ext. 361.
- A housing worker from West End Housing Help is available on Monday afternoons from 1-4PM. For more information, or to book an appointment, please call 416.537.2455 or speak to the first floor receptionist.
- POINT (Prevent Overdose in Toronto) Naloxone Training will be offered care of The Works Outreach Van on Wednesday October 14th between 3-5PM.
- The English Conversation Club takes place on Mondays from 10AM-12PM.
- The Seniors Wellness Drop-In takes place from Tuesdays from 1-3PM. Join us for a special celebration in honour of National Seniors Day on Tuesday October 6th. Please note: this group will not take place on Tuesday October 13th.
- Healing through Music is a drumming circle for seniors that will take place on Monday October 5th from 3:30-4:30PM. No previous experience is required, just a love of music and a desire to meet new friends.
- Seniors in Action will meet on Thursday October 15th from 2-3:30PM.
- Chronic Pain and Self-Management is a six week workshop that aims to help individuals with chronic pain manage their health and quality of life with confidence. This group is open to anyone living with chronic pain and anyone providing care and support to someone living with chronic pain. Participants will learn about physical activity and healthy eating, decision making skills, communication skills, problem solving, and positive thinking. Refreshments, resources, and TTC tokens will be provided. This group takes place on Thursdays from 9:30AM-12PM from September 24th until October 29th. Please be advised that this group is now full.
- Also see Bridging the Gap below under Families and Newcomers.
- For more information about seniors programming, please call Sandra: 416.537.2455, ext. 238.
Families and Newcomers programming:
- Child Minding Training provides training in the areas of child growth and development, health, nutrition, and safety issues for children aged 0-6 years old. The next session takes place on Wednesdays from 3-5PM from September 9th to December 16th at Parkdale Intercultural Association at 1365 Queen St West.
- Bridging the Gap is an inter-generational knitting club for beginner and experienced knitters to share their knowledge and learn new skills. Come to learn, share, socialize, and meet new friends! This group takes place on Wednesdays from 10AM-12PM starting September 16th. For more info, please call Sandra: 416.537.2455, ext. 238, or Rosa at ext. 233.
- Newcomer Health and Wellbeing: Sharing, Caring, and Supporting is a weekly drop-in group for newcomer women and women-identified individuals who have lived in Canada for 10 years or less. Participants are welcome to share, care and discuss self-soothing techniques, life in Canada, family life, education, and immigration. Child care, snacks, and TTC tokens will be available. This group takes places on Mondays from 10AM-12PM from October 19th to December 14th. To register, please call Heather at 416.537.8222, ext. 304, or Rosa at 416.537.2455, ext. 231.
- For more information about newcomers programming, please call Rosa: 416.537.2455, ext. 231.
Health and dental programming:
- Join us for a Cancer Prevention Awareness Workshop on Friday October 9th from 10AM-12PM. A speakers panel will share stories and discuss cancer prevention. Breakfast will be served from 10-10:30AM. For more information, please call Sandra at 416.537.2455, ext. 238.
- The Healthy Smiles Dental Clinic is open from 8AM-4PM Monday through Friday.
- The West End Oral Health Clinic takes place on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4:30-7:30PM. The clinic will also be open on Saturday October 24th from 11AM-3PM. The clinic will be closed on Wednesday October 28th and Thursday October 29th.
- The Infant Hearing Program takes place on Fridays from 9AM-4:30PM. For more information, please contact 416.338.8255. This program will be cancelled on Friday September 4th.
- The Naturopath Clinic takes places on Tuesdays from 12:00PM to 6:00PM. To book an appointment, please request the sign-up sheet from the first floor receptionist. There is currently a waiting list of six months. You may also visit the clinic Tuesday afternoons and ask if there are any cancellations.
- Anonymous HIV testing is offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for members of the general public. Please call 416.537.2455 to book an appointment.
- The Acupuncture Drop-In takes place on Wednesdays from 10-11AM September 16th to October 21st. For more info call Norma at 416.537.2455, ext. 233.
- The Living Well Lunch Club will take place on Monday October 19th at 12:30PM (tentative date).
- The Gentle Exercise Class takes place on Fridays 10:45AM-12PM. There will not be a class on Friday October 9th. For more information, call 416.537.2455.
- Steps Across Parkdale is a weekly walking group led by a physiotherapist, diabetes dietitian, and diabetes nurse educator. Meet outside Parkdale CHC Wednesdays at 3:15PM for a walk around the neighbourhood. Pre-registration is required. To register, please meet Minxue, Jennifer, or Jane at 3PM before the walk.
- Food Skills for Families is a six week cooking program offered in partnership with the Canadian Diabetes Association. Each session participants will prepare three recipes and share a meal together. The goal of the program is to encourage participants to prepare their own meals using fresh ingredients, gain nutrition knowledge and build confidence in cooking. This programs runs on Thursdays from 2-5PM from October 1st until November 5th except for Friday October 23rd. Please note: this group is now full.
- For information about Diabetes programming, please call Mel at 416.537.2455, ext 236.
- Mom and Baby Circle takes place Mondays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. This program is for parents and caregivers of babies 0-6 months.
- Baby and Me takes place Mondays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at 27 Roncesvalles, Suite 503. This program is for parents and caregivers of babies 6-12 months.
- Prenatal Nutrition and Support takes place Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Childcare is available for registered participants with children aged 0-12 years.
- If you would like to register in any 5Ps programs, please call Stacia at 416.537.8222, ext. 505.
Women's Connection Programming:
- The Postpartum Mood Disorders Support Group takes place on Tuesdays from 2-4PM. This group is for mothers who are suffering from PPMD who live in the west end of Toronto. Childcare is provided. For self-referral for intake and assessment regarding postpartum mood disorders, clients may call Isabel at 416.537.8222, ext. 305.
- Yoga and Mindfulness for Moms is a trauma-informed group that aims to teach participants stress management skills, self-awareness, and self-compassion through techniques such as deep breathing, relaxation, and mindfulness meditation. This group takes place on Fridays from 10:30AM-1PM from October 9th to November 13th. Childcare, snacks, and TTC tokens will be provided. Space is limited. Please register by calling 416.537.8222 ext. 307 (Kendra) or 305 (Isabel).
- Building Skills: Peer Learning and Empowerment Program is a skills building program that takes place on Tuesdays from October 6th to November 17th from 10AM-1PM. Build on your strength and skills, self-confidence, communication, and group work skills. This group is open to all who identify as women. Space is limited! To register, please call Nancy at 416.537.8222, ext. 310.
- Anger Management Counselling is offered both on a one-to-one basis and in a group format, depending on the needs of individuals and their comfort levels. The program targets two groups: individuals who are mandated by the law to take Anger Management course and people who are interested in taking the course for their own personal growth. Participants are required to attend six to eight sessions in order to complete the program. Referrals are accepted from probation officers, physicians, or other professionals. Self-referrals are also accepted. The program is for people living in the GTA area. For more information or to book an appointment, please call Elizabeth Guete at (416) 537 2455. ext 306.
- The Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Program is a nine week group runs on Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. starting on October 13th at the Centre for Mindfulness Studies. This group is for individuals who wish to increase awareness of self, learn skills to help reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and prevent relapse of depression. Participants do not require past meditation experience but will be expected to attend each session and to complete homework assignments. For more information, please call Victoria at 416.537.2455, ext.361.
Upcoming Programming for Next Month:
- Guys Can Cook is a free seven week program for guys aged 15-18 years old. Cook with a chef, make and eat delicious food, earn your Food Handling Certificate, get work experience, and learn in a fun environment. This program takes place on Wednesdays from November 4th until December 16th from 3:30-7:30PM. To register, please contact Samantha at 416.537.2455, ext. 359, or Rosa at ext. 231. Register now as space is limited!
- Parkdale CHC will be closed on Saturday October 10th and Monday October 12th for Thanksgiving.
For more information, or to view a complete list of programs and services offered, please visit our Program Calendar.