Here's what's on in December:
Street Health and Harm Reduction programming:
- The Kit Group takes place on Tuesdays from 1-3PM in the Board Room. To sign up, please call 416.537.2455, ext 271, or drop by the Harm Reduction Room on the first floor.
- There is no ID Clinic scheduled in December.
- KAPOW takes place Fridays from 10-11:30AM in the Board Room. For more information, please call Victoria at 416.537.2455, ext. 361.
- A housing worker from West End Housing Help is available on Monday afternoons from 1-4PM. For more information, or to book an appointment, please call 416.537.2455 or speak to the first floor receptionist.
- POINT (Prevent Overdose in Toronto) Naloxone Training will be offered care of The Works Outreach Van (on Gwynne Avenue beside the PCHC parkette at 1229 Queen St W) on Wednesday December 16th from 3-5pm. For more information, please call 416.537.2455, ext 271, or drop by the Harm Reduction Room on the first floor.
The Harm Reduction Room's holiday hours are:
- December 24 - Closed
- December 25 - Closed
- December 28 - Closed
- December 29 - Open from 10AM-12PM and 3-5PM
- December 30 - Open from 10AM-11:30AM and 3-5PM
- December 31st - Open from 10AM-12PM
- The English Conversation Club takes place on Mondays from 10AM-12PM. The last session for 2015 is Monday December 14th. The program will resume on Monday February 1st, 2016.
- The Seniors Wellness Drop-In takes place from Tuesdays from 1-3PM. The last session of 2015 will take place on Tuesday December 15th. The program will resume on Tuesday January 19th, 2016.
- For more information about seniors programming, please call Sandra: 416.537.2455, ext. 238.
Families and Newcomers programming:
- Child Minding Training provides training in the areas of child growth and development, health, nutrition, and safety issues for children aged 0-6 years old. The next session takes place on Wednesdays from 3-5PM from September 9th to December 16th at Parkdale Intercultural Association at 1365 Queen St West.
- Bridging the Gap is an inter-generational knitting club for beginner and experienced knitters to share their knowledge and learn new skills. Come to learn, share, socialize, and meet new friends! This group takes place on Wednesdays from 10AM-12PM until December 16th.
- Newcomer Health and Wellbeing: Sharing, Caring, and Supporting is a weekly drop-in group for newcomer women and women-identified individuals who have lived in Canada for 10 years or less. Participants are welcome to share, care and discuss self-soothing techniques, life in Canada, family life, education, and immigration. Child care, snacks, and TTC tokens will be available. This group takes places on Mondays from 10:30AM-12:30PM from October 19th to December 14th. To register, please call Heather at 416.537.8222, ext. 304, or Rosa at 416.537.2455, ext. 231.
- Guys Can Cook is a free seven week program for guys aged 15-18 years old. Cook with a chef, make and eat delicious food, earn your Food Handling Certificate, get work experience, and learn in a fun environment. This program takes place on Wednesdays from November 4th until December 16th from 3:30-7:30PM. To register, please contact Samantha at 416.537.2455, ext. 359, or Rosa at ext. 231. Register now as space is limited!
- For more information about newcomers programming, please call Rosa: 416.537.2455, ext. 231.
Health and dental programming:
- The Healthy Smiles Dental Clinic is open from 8AM-4PM Monday through Friday. The clinic will be closed on Friday December 4th and the week of December 21st to 25th and December 28th to January 1st.
- The West End Oral Health Clinic will take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4:30-7:30PM on December 2nd, 3rd, 9th, and 10th. After this, the clinic will be closed for the holidays.
- The Infant Hearing Program takes place on Fridays from 9AM-4:30PM. For more information, please contact 416.338.8255.
- The Naturopath Clinic takes places on Tuesdays from 12PM-6PM. To book an appointment, please request the sign-up sheet from the first floor receptionist. There is currently a waiting list of six months. You may also visit the clinic Tuesday afternoons and ask if there are any cancellations.
- Anonymous HIV testing is offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for members of the general public. Please call 416.537.2455 to book an appointment.
- During flu season, PCHC is pleased to offer free flu shots to registered clients and members of the general public six months of age or older. A health card is not required. If you are a registered client, you can get your flu shot at Parkdale Community Health Centre by booking an appointment with your health care provider. Please call 416.537.2455, ext. 222, or visit our second floor reception. You can also ask your provider for a flu shot during a regular appointment visit or visit one of our weekly Flu Shot Drop-In Clinics, offered on Wednesday mornings from 10:00-11:30 a.m. If you are not a registered client: Visit one of our weekly Flu Shot Drop-In Clinics. You do not need to be a client of the Health Centre and you do not need to have a health card to get a flu shot. Flu shots are administered on a first come, first served basis. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment.
- The Living Well Lunch Club will go on a special tour of St. Lawrence Market on Monday December 14th. The group will depart from PCHC at 10AM.
- The Gentle Exercise Class takes place on Friday December 4th 10:45AM-12PM. For more information, call 416.537.2455.
- Steps Across Parkdale has been cancelled.
- Upcoming Program Announcement: Living Life Well with Diabetes is an eight week introductory workshop that teaches participants about blood sugar management, medications, healthy eating on a budget, physical activity, coping with stress, and more. The program runs Thursdays from 1:30-3:30PM from January 21st to March 10th.
- For information about diabetes programming, please call Mel at 416.537.2455, ext 236.
- Mom and Baby Circle takes place Mondays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. This program is for parents and caregivers of babies 0-6 months.
- Baby and Me takes place Mondays from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at 27 Roncesvalles, Suite 503. This program is for parents and caregivers of babies 6-12 months.
- Prenatal Nutrition and Support takes place Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Fatherhood 101: Dads Drop-In is a drop-in for fathers with children 0-3 years of age. The next session takes place on Wednesday December 2nd from 6-7:30pm at 27 Roncesvalles Ave, Suite 503. Childcare, TTC and a light meal will be provided.
- The 5Ps Holiday Party will take place on Thursday December 17th. Details will be provided to registered clients.
- Childcare is available for registered participants with children aged 0-12 years. If you would like to register in any 5Ps programs, please call Stacia at 416.537.8222, ext. 505.
- The 5Ps program is currently accepting volunteer applications. For more information, please contact Stacia at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 416.537.8222, ext. 505.
- The 5Ps will be closed the week of December 21st to 25th and December 28th to January 1st.
Women's Connection Programming:
- The Postpartum Mood Disorders Support Group will not take place in December.
- Anger Management Counselling is offered both on a one-to-one basis and in a group format, depending on the needs of individuals and their comfort levels. The program targets two groups: individuals who are mandated by the law to take Anger Management course and people who are interested in taking the course for their own personal growth. Participants are required to attend six to eight sessions in order to complete the program. Referrals are accepted from probation officers, physicians, or other professionals. Self-referrals are also accepted. The program is for people living in the GTA area. For more information or to book an appointment, please call Elizabeth Guete at (416) 537 2455. ext 306.
Parkdale CHC's holiday hours are:
- Thursday December 24th: open from 9AM-12PM
- Friday December 25th: closed
- Saturday December 26th: closed
- Monday December 28th: closed
- Tuesday December 29th and Wednesday December 30th: open for regular hours
- Thursday December 31st: open from 9AM-12PM
- Friday January 1st: closed
- Saturday January 2nd: closed
- Monday January 4th: regular hours resume this week
Registered clients can access the after-hours on-call services during the holidays.
For more information, or to view a complete list of programs and services offered, please visit our Program Calendar.